Tuesday, May 21, 2013

You Can Paint Anything!!

Hello all!! I am so sorry I have been MIA for the last two weeks. I have been traveling for work and am now home and ready for new projects.  I have had a few questions regarding painting furniture and cabinets and I wanted to share my ways of doing it.  I have two different approaches, there are a ton of great tutorials out there from experts, but this is my way of doing it long before the era of Pinterest.

#1- My first way is easier in the way of clean up and has seemed to hold up really well on more than one piece I have done.  In my last post I showed our bathroom before and after and I used method #1 for these cabinets.  First before doing anything remove all of your hardware and and doors that you can. The drawers are attached by a few screws and it is very easy to remove the faces.

Note the mess that is under the sink and don't judge :)   After the doors and hardware are removed sand the whole piece.  On this particular piece I used a paint and primer all in one from Lowes. I always use a semi-gloss due to the fact that I like a piece to wipe down easily and to have nice finish to it.


  I like to first get in the crevasses with a brush and then go over the whole piece with a small foam roller.  For a piece like your vanity a quart is more than enough.  For the doors and drawers I like to lay them out in the hubbys workshop or any dry clean space.


Propping each door up on a small can of paint is extremely helpful so that you can reach all of the sides. Improvise however you see fit.  In between each coat lightly sand and wipe down with a dry cloth.  Two coats will usually cover the piece, but it is dependent on the piece and the color you choose.  The color I chose for this particular piece is called, Suede Gray in a semi-gloss enamel.


Wait approx. 2 days for the piece to cure before putting on the doors and the hardware.


#2- Way number two is exactly the same as #1 except I like to use an oil based paint from Benjamin Moore called Satin Impervo.  My mother in law has been using this paint for years and it is tried and true.  A few places I suggest using oil is anywhere that gets a lot of wear and tear and needs a thick coat to it, such as, kitchen cabinets and trim.  We used this on every piece of white in our house and it has stood up to the test of time. No chips!!!  The white we used in our house is white dove.



 Just remember you can paint anything!  I will be back this week to share another piece I recently refreshed for my entryway. Have an amazing week!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment